English and Global Citizenship CPD Workshop 2022
This workshop offers input and advice on English teachers in post-primary schools.
The recording provides:
- Some tips on integrating GCE into the Junior Cycle
- Input from author Debbie Thomas
- Some tips on integrating GCE into the Senior Cycl
The recording is available here.
- The chat was alive with suggestions from teachers attending-here’s an edited version of the chat and suggestions: The Chat for the English CPD (docx)
- An appendix reading recording of a dialogue poem Two Women written at the time of the 1973 Chilean Coup. Here is a copy of the poem two_women (pdf)
- Here‘s the interactive version of the presentation-click on the little icons for case studies, links and tips!
- Find case studies embedded in the presentation!
APA_Outsiders_web: The Outsiders: Children living in direct provision in Ireland (pdf)
Beyond Borders is an excellent resource to explore the issue of migration in English class. They have also developed an extension pack with excellent activities:
- Beyond Borders Education Pack 2020 (pdf)
- BB Ex Section 5 Beyond Borders Criminalisation of Solidarity (docx)
- BB EX Section 3 Beyond Colonial Borders (docx)
- BB EX final Beyond Borders Extension Pack Introduction 2022 (docx)
The New Internationalist Magazine always has a book review list but their articles are amazing to use in the classroom or to read up about an issue yourself. It’s worth getting a subscription and if you have a grant with us, you can definitely spend it on that!
Developmenteducation.ie is very good for English teachers there’s lots of useful articles such as this one here.
Too many to fit here but -we also have a book list on our grant spending menu.
World Beyond War has a good book club and often have good debates, poetry readings etc.