The WWGS Global Passport Framework is a tool developed to support schools with their GCE journey. Its purpose is two-fold; it is a planning tool and an award that recognises good practice in GCE.
The application process is now open! Schools can account for all GCE exploration and initiatives that took place in the previous three years.
You can be guided by the following steps:
- Register your interest to apply for the WWGS Global Passport here
- Find out more information about the Global Passport and the Global Passport stamps
- Refer to our Global Passport Framework (from p.24) for practical examples of integrating GCE as a whole school approach.
- Start gathering supporting evidence for each stamp-use the template here to help
- Watch this video to get very familiar with the WWGS guiding principles -the more your programme is in line with these, the higher the score! You can also find them in the Teacher Guidebook.
- Get in touch with your education officer for support
- Submit the completed Global Passport application before the 26th of January.
If you have any questions concerning this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Education Officer.
What is the Global Passport Award?
The Global Passport Award is an EU recognised quality mark, acknowledging and celebrating the great work happening in schools in GCE.
It offers schools a framework to integrate GCE into their whole-school community.
It is a self-assessed and externally-audited accreditation and it is open to all post-primary schools in Ireland.
What Awards are offered under the Global Passport?:
There are 3 different types of Global Passport Awards that schools can apply for depending on their level of engagement with Global Citizenship Education (GCE). These include:
- The Citizen’s Passport Award - for school's emerging engagement with GCE (Bronze)
- The Diplomatic Passport Award- for school's established engagement with GCE (Silver)
- The Special Passport Award - for school's exceptional engagement with GCE (Gold)
What is involved in the application process?
Schools rate their level of Global Citizenship activity under 6 categories
or passport ‘stamps’:
- Extra-Curricular activities
- Teacher Capacity & Engagement
- Student Capacity & Engagement
- School Leadership & Policies
- Community Engagement
The total score achieved in all 6 categories/stamps will determine which of the three Global Passport Awards are awarded.
When is the application deadline?
The next deadline (2024) for the Global Passport applications is 26th January 2024. Successful applicants of the Global Passport Award receive a wooden plaque and a banner to showcase their status as a WorldWise Global School's Global Passport Award holder.
How do I apply?
If your school is interested in applying for the Global Passport Award, please register your interest below (click on the button below). For more information please contact the education officer
in your area.
When will the awardees be announced?
If your school is awarded a Global Passport, you will be notified by April each year. Awardees will be announced at the School Management Symposium in April 2024.