Whole School ApproachIn order to embed sustainable DE in post-primary schools, schools need to be able to ‘do’ DE themselves and have a Whole School Approach to Development Education. WorldWise Global Schools (WWGS) defines a Whole School Approach as an engagement with DE that is multi-dimensional in practice and reflects its status as collective value that is embraced, embodied and enacted by all stakeholders in a school community. Thus, there is not one definitive manifestation of Whole School engagement, but rather an entire spectrum of engagement that is expressed differently in each school community. Some Characteristics of a Whole School Approach to Development Education are:
- sustained connections with DE in the curricular and extra-curricular sphere;
- a high level of teacher and student capacity for engaging with development themes and DE practice;
- a commitment from school leadership and management bodies to DE that is formally defined in school plans (e.g. a school policy on DE);
- a demonstrable affirmation from the school community that it exists to create more just, harmonious and sustainable societies at the local, national and international level.
School NetworksWorldwise Global Schools support clusters or groups of schools who will work on joint or related projects. Some established networks have been very active in promoting a global awareness through their schools and have initiated annual events involving students and teachers meeting and sharing their learning. But you do not have to be part of an established school network to get involved. Why not consider a joint project with other schools and create your own network? What is a school network?
- An established school network that shares a common mission.
- VEC schools that form part of a county based network.
- Schools within a distinct geographical region sharing DE activities
- A group of schools working together (with or without a DE provider) under a common global issue or project e.g. Gender equality.
- A group of schools working together on a global development solution/project as part of their participation in the BT Young Scientists or Young Social Innovators events.
- Schools sharing a common target country as part of their Linking & Immersion programme.