About UsIrish Aid’s WorldWise Global Schools is the national programme of Development Education (DE) for post-primary schools in Ireland. It is funded by Irish Aid and implemented by a consortium of organisations: Gorta Self Help Africa, Concern Worldwide and the City of Dublin Education and Training Board Curriculum Development Unit.The programme was set up in 2013 as the key channel through which Irish Aid support for DE in post-primary schools is to be coordinated. Our aim is to increase the number of post-primary schools engaging in quality development education by providing a broad range of supports.
Our ProgrammeWorldwise Global Schools support schools to integrate Development Education into their teaching and learning, in a variety of different ways, including:
- Our Annual Grant Call – which provides funding to support DE work in schools
- The Global Passport Award – which schools can apply for to have their DE work validated and recognised
- Programme of Events and Training to build the DE capacity of post-primary teachers and their schools
- Tailored support from our staff team – including school visits as well as remote advice/guidance
- Targeted resources to support the integration of DE into specific subject areas as well as broader school activities.
- Simple measurement of the impact of DE – through our Self Assessment Tool (SAT)
In 2016, an independent, external evaluation was carried out to assess the degree to which the WWGS programme had been successful in meeting its strategic aims. This process involved extensive consultation with programme stakeholders, staff, participants and funder. The summary report resulting from that process can be viewed here.